Writing for charities
Gathering people around a joint cause
Over the past few years I’ve built up considerable experience of writing for charities, so understand the pressures that charities are facing right now. The most urgent issues are usually battling for a share of audience attention using limited resources, and engaging different groups of stakeholders with messages that balance facts and emotion.
My work includes writing:
- A case for support for Save the Children aimed at fellow NGOs.
- Web content and appeals for the Environmental Investigation Agency.
- A new web site for Music for Dementia.
- Charity stories for The Goldsmiths’ Company Charity.
- An impact report for Mind.
- An annual report for Breast Cancer Now.
- Appeals for Asthma + Lung UK.
- Articles, blogs and annual reports for Help Musicians UK.
- Fundraising materials for Freedom from Torture, including a BBC Radio 4 ‘Charity of the Week’ script for John McCarthy.
- Cases for support for The Brooke.
- A speech and case for support for Battersea Dogs and Cats Home.
If you’d like my help with a charity project, please get in touch.
“Fiona wrote a charity appeal for John McCarthy to read on a Radio 4 appeal. The appeal raised over £20,000 and gave us very good national media coverage.”
Jim Tomlinson, Head of Fundraising, Freedom from Torture
“Fiona isn’t your average copywriter; she really gets under the skin of a brief, a subject matter and an organisation. I can’t recommend her highly enough.”
Christine Brown, Communications Manager, Help Musicians UK
“Fiona is an absolute pleasure to work with. She can take the bare bones of a brief and turn it into impactful and beautifully written copy, designed to appeal perfectly to your audience.”
Carly Vincent, Philanthropy Executive, Battersea Dogs and Cats Home
“Working with Fiona on a freelance basis helps build our fundraising capacity as and when required. She brings energy to our team and her enthusiasm and creativity are contagious!”
Elisabeth Michau, Head of Fundraising, EIA UK
“Fiona recently took on the challenge of writing Breast Cancer Now’s annual report. She was a joy to work with, hitting those all-important deadlines but, more importantly, bringing her energy, enthusiasm and creativity to the report. I look forward to knocking on Fiona’s door with future copywriting projects. Thanks, Fiona!”
Nick Wakefield, Head of Brand, Breast Cancer Now
“I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your article about Unlocked Graduates in the latest Goldsmiths’ Review. It was a very elegantly constructed and clear piece of writing.”
Meg Sanders, Chair of the Charity Committee at The Goldsmiths’ Company